Copyright law is about to change
For more than a year Congress has been holding hearings for the drafting of a brand new US Copyright Act. At its heart is the return of Orphan Works
What does this mean for artists? it means it will make it easier for infringers to steal artists works and harder for people who are making or trying to make a living out of art more difficult. This will effect every artist and all the artwork they have created, are creating, and will be created. Corporates, Big businesses, and publishers want this to pass to make money out off artists works without paying us artists for past, current, and future artwork.
Basic Facts About The Law Being Proposed
– “The Next Great Copyright Act” would replace all existing copyright law.
– It would void our Constitutional right to the exclusive control of our work.
– It would “privilege” the public’s right to use our work.
– It would “pressure” you to register your work with commercial registries.
– It would “orphan” unregistered work.
– It would make orphaned work available for commercial infringement by “good faith” infringers.
– It would allow others to alter your work and copyright these “derivative works” in their own names.
– It would affect all visual art: drawings, paintings, sketches, photos, etc.; past, present and future; published and unpublished; domestic and foreign.
** Ways to stop this or preventing these changes from happening**
> > > > > > > DEADLINE IS NEXT THURSDAY: JULY 23, 2015 < < < < < <
– share, reblog this post, spread it for other artists to take notice and action.
– You can submit a letter on how this law can be an issue for you as an artist here.
Non-U.S. artists can email their letters to the attention of:
Senior Advisor to the Register of Copyrights
U.S. Copyright Office
“Right now nobody has to understand copyright law because you’re protected by it, but under the law they are proposing, copyright law wont protect you anymore.”
– Brad Holland (Quote from the video – at 1:23:30)
PDFs via the official US Copyright website:
- Return of the Son of the Orphan Works Act by Tom Richmond
According to Will Terry, who uploaded the video:
They are working with big corporations who I will also not name who stand to gain big time. Think about a company that has the largest search engine on the internet…they are putting lots of money behind this because there is a ton of money in controlling and selling all of our work. (x)
Which may explain why Googling the Orphan Works and Next Great Copyright Act yields so little results. Please add any extra information if you have access to it, because I couldn’t find much.
PLEASE act fast! We have very little time left to protect copyright of our own creative works!